Board of Commissioners
Commissioner's meetings are held in the Garden Valley
Fire Department at 7:00 PM the second Tuesday of each month.
The public is welcome and encouraged to attend to observe, ask questions, and/or make
Members of the Board
Don Mathews, President, Term
expires 12/31/2019, Subdistrict 1
Leigh Ward, Commissioner, Term Expires 12/31/2017,
Ron Reil, Commissioner, Term Expires 12/31/2017,
Note: Alternate Commissioners provide input at board meetings, however, they do not vote unless The regular commissioner is absent at the monthly meeting;
What the Board of Commissioners do...
- Oversee the general operation of the GVFPD in terms
of both physical assets and staff
- Act as liason between the public and staff.
Commissioners may or may not have experience in fire fighting science but
must be comfortable in handling interactions with the
public, the GVFPD staff, and volunteers
- Exercise fiduciary oversight of the GVFPD, ensuring the prudent disbursement of taxpayer
funds, grants, and other sources of income
- Formulate the long-term, strategic mission of
the GVFPD in concert with the Fire Chief
- Meet formally with the staff once a month; hold
workshops as needed
- Review day-to-day operations of the station